One of the surest ways to get Roy to join me in the kitchen is for me to make chocolate. Since finding this simple recipe for homemade dark chocolate, it has been one of my—and Roy’s—favorite recipes.
LIST OF INGREDIENTS:
- 1 cup (100 g) organic cocoa powder.
- 1⁄2 cup (120 mL) organic coconut oil.
- 4 tablespoons (59 mL) organic raw honey.
- 1⁄2 tablespoon (7.4 mL) organic vanilla extract.
- Optional: ¼ cup (25 g) organic confectioner’s sugar, 1⁄4 cup (59 mL) agave syrup, or 3-6 drops I like liquid stevia. Roy and I do not add any extra sweetener to our chocolate.
- Melt 1⁄2 cup of organic coconut oil in a small stainless steel pot over low heat.
- Stirring with a whisk or metal spoon, add 4 tbsp of organic raw honey, and drizzle in ½ tbsp of organic vanilla extract. Continue to stir the ingredients into the melted oil until they dissolve and form a thin, syrupy mixture. Optional step: Add any other sweeteners like confectioner’s sugar or stevia at the same time that you add the honey and vanilla.
- Gradually stir in 1 cup of organic cocoa powder, keeping your whisk or spoon moving to help distribute the cocoa powder evenly throughout the mixture.
- Take the chocolate off of the heat and continue stirring it as it thickens until the chocolate takes on a smooth, dark color and the surface becomes slightly glossy.
- Carefully pour the warm chocolate on to a nonstick surface like a flexible nonstick baking mat or cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Using a spatula, spread the chocolate about 1⁄2 inch thick.
- Refrigerate your chocolate for 1 hour before enjoying it. Once it’s fully set, it will be firm enough to break into pieces.
- Your finished chocolate may be kept in the refrigerator or in a covered container on your countertop for up to 2 years.
I have added links to good quality ingredients that can be used for this recipe.
FOUR SUGGESTED KEY INGREDIENTS:
For organic cocoa powder, I like Navitas Organics Cacao Powder because it is Organic, Non-GMO, Fair Trade, and Gluten-Free.
Again, there are many good brands of organic vanilla extract. Grandma’s Choice Organic Vanilla Extract is organic, gluten-free, and kosher.
WikiHow Staff. “How to Make Chocolate.”WikiHow. 04 May 2019 <https://www.wikihow.com/Make-Chocolate>